Re: RFD: cygwin + *native* MinGW compiler

Charles Wilson wrote:
Pursuant to a discussion on the libtool list, I'm trying to get a feel
for how many cygwin users rely on the cygwin environment to drive the
*native* MinGW gcc compiler.  That is, incantations like this:

1a)
cygwin$ some-src-pkg/configure \
  --build=i686-pc-cygwin --host=mingw32 \
  CC=/c/MinGW/bin/gcc.exe \
  CXX=/c/MinGW/bin/g++.exe \
  NM=/c/MinGW/bin/nm.exe \
  DLLTOOL=/c/MinGW/bin/dlltool.exe \
  OBJDUMP=/c/MinGW/bin/objdump.exe \
  LD=/c/MinGW/bin/ld.exe

or possibly

1b)
cygwin$ export PATH=/c/MinGW/bin:$PATH
cygwin$ some-src-pkg/configure \
  --build=i686-pc-cygwin --host=mingw32

Note that this is *DIFFERENT* than installing a true cygwin-hosted
mingw-target cross-compiler, and just doing

2)
cygwin$ some-src-pkg/configure \
  --build=i686-pc-cygwin --host=i686-pc-mingw32

It is ALSO different than the (deprecated, unsupported,
go-away-don't-bother-us) incantation:

3)
cygwin$ some-src-pkg/configure \
  --build=i686-pc-cygwin --host=i686-pc-mingw32 \
  CFLAGS='-mno-cygwin'

I hope this is considered on-topic here, because I'm interested in the
uses of the cygwin environment itself.  I don't want reports of why it
doesn't work, or how hard it is to get one of the incantations above to
work.  I just want to get an idea of how many people are currently,
actually, successfully, doing something like 1a) or 1b) above.

Our development group uses "native" MinGW every day with the Cygwin bash shell as the center of operations. I believe that we are over ten years into this at this point
Our build environment uses Serena Configuration Builder and PVCS, but I can feel a more standard unixish (autoconf,
automake, etc) environment coming in as well. I also use Cygwin to develop using Embedded C++, Visual C++ by starting bash
via a windows batch file that sets the "BASHENV" environment variable to another script, eg .mingwrc, that sets the build environment
specifically ensuring in this case that MinGW's gcc, etc is ahead of Cygwin's in the PATH.
--
Chuck

-- Roger Wells, P.E. SAIC 221 Third St Newport, RI 02840 401-847-4210 (voice) 401-849-1585 (fax) roger.k.wells@saic.com