1.5.25-15, gcc 3.4.4-3: printf() does not print cyrillic (russian) text in Windows encoding

Excuse me, if it is not correct mailing list to post this message (if so, please point me to the right one).

The problem is:
I'm trying to build small utility program written in plane "C" with gcc under Win98/Cygwin (since it should run under command.com I use "-mnocygwin").
Among other things my utility must print to the stdout short text string from a text file, generated by another program. This text is in Russian language and uses Windows encoding (1251). Here I get the problem: instead of normal Russian text I see on the screen absolutely wrong symbols! :-(
If I write the same text in the same encoding in a shell script (for example "echo ÐÑÐ ÑÑÑÑÐÐÐ ÑÐÐÑÑ") and run it under Cygwin - everything is Ok! But the C-program can not make the "right" output using printf().

May be somebody can give me an advice, how I can change the C-source in order to get the correct output. (To tell the truth I am not very familiar with all these locale things).

--
Thank you
Alexey Lyubimov