Re: First Pass at mintty documentation; etc.

Mark J. Reed wrote:
True, but that's only one direction of history search, albeit the most commonly useful one. For those cases where you're somewhere back in your history and need to search forward, what do you do?
In my 25 years of working on such systems I can probably count on 2 fingers the number of times such a situation has arose and what I did was Control-C then Control-R again.
The default binding for history-search-forward is control-S; unfortunately, that's also usually the stop character and therefore caught by the terminal before bash ever sees it. So you have to either change the stop character or rebind the function, and if you rebind that one you might as well bind the other one to something symmetric.
Again, if the need were more than 2 times in 25 years I'd probably just bind Control-E to it or something like that.
Also, while it's fun to customize things in .inputrc (I have mine set to editing-mode vi, in which incidentally the / key starts a history search), I do recommend that everyone learn the emacs keys just because that's what bash defaults to. Sure, if I'm going to be typing more than a couple commands in a foreign bash setup, the first one I type is "set -o vi". But for short sessions in someone else's environment it's handy to be able to use the default bindings.
Hmmm... My usual inclination is to type "set -o emacs" when required! ;-)

Different strokes...
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
What do you do when you see an endangered animal that eats only endangered plants?