Re: [1.7] gcc-3.4.4-3 gets reinstalled every time I run setup

>> setup sees the package as new, and reinstalls it, every time.

> At least it is in the category of annoying but harmless; you aren't missing any files necessary for gcc to work correctly.

Also dummy upgrade packages and install helpers are repeatedly re-installed unless laboriously un-checked during setup. I got so fed up with this that I dis-interred good old setup.exe v.2.510.2.2 (standing head and shoulders above other versions of setup.exe before or since), temporarily renamed setup-2.ini to setup.ini and release-2 to release, and ran this version of setup on the [1.7] provision. Then recovered old names.

The effect of this trick was as required: at last the page of annoying nags to re-install material already installed on [1.7] has disappeared, and when there's nothing new to install, setup doesn't pretend otherwise.

I think, but haven't checked, that the reason for this useful capability might be that old setup.exe v.2.510.2.2 writes more fully to /etc/setup/installed.db than either of the current v.2.573.2.3 or the experimental [1.7] v.2.609. Even if this is not the reason, the old version keeps much better track - somewhere? - of an installation history than subsequent versions. It is possible that some of this useful functionality could be recovered for a future version?

Fergus