Dodgy adding a package to Setup.exe

Environment
Windows XP
Setup.exe - 2.573.2.3 (Unix,

Currently what I do is have a setup.exe + release directory that contains all of the packages downloaded. When we install to another machine we choose all the local packages, and hence we have a nice simple(ish) definition of what our system uses in the cygwin packages and a way to install it. However due to a problem in csih I would like to have a custom package that replaces the script file, This is not a bug in csih, its a special case for terminal services disabling that I would like to be seamless. There seems to be two basic approaches - 1) Add a new version of csih into the release directory and say that this is the latest version in the setup.ini, 2) Add a whole new package that replaces the file/uses post install to replace the file file.

I have tried both approaches but in both cases when doing an install from local my version did not appear, and nor did my package. My ideal scenario was that I can put a tar.bz2 into the release directory in the right place, modify the setup.ini and it'll show on the list and I can use either post install or file replacement to achieve my goal. I can't find an error in my tar.bz2 or the setup.ini but if it should work that would be good to know that its possible to do this way.

Submitting this as a real package I maintaining it doesn't make any sense as no one else needs this change. On the other hand I need the change to be installed on many machines and I would like it as seamless as possible and hence a custom makes sense until 1.7 is production ready and fixes my specific issue.

How can I achieve what I am trying to do?

Paul K