Re: Named pipes (blocking problem)

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 06:23:40PM -0000, John Emmas wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Faylor"
> Sent: 22 December 2008 17:28
> Subject: Re: Named pipes (blocking problem)
>>
>> If the OP is creating a pipe using CreateNamedPipe and then trying to
>> somehow read it using Cygwin's I/O library then I wouldn't be surprised
>> to see strange behavior.  Otherwise, Cygwin does not impose any strange
>> limitations on CreateNamedPipe.
>>
> Thanks Christopher.  This is really at the heart of what I'm trying to find
> out.  Does Cygwin implement its own versions of CreateNamedPipe() and
> ReadFile() or does it simply link to the standard Windows versions?  If it
> passes the calls over to Windows then I'm baffled about why I'm observing
> different behaviour.

Cygwin tries to emulate linux/POSIX.  CreateNamedPipe is not a
linux/POSIX function.  Cygwin does not implement Windows functions.  So,
no, Cygwin does not implement its own versions of CreateNamedPipe or
ReadFile.

As I suggested, if you want to build a pure Windows program, you
shouldn't be using Cygwin.  Use MinGW instead - http://mingw.org/ .