Sent: 22 December 2008 17:28
Subject: Re: Named pipes (blocking problem)

If the OP is creating a pipe using CreateNamedPipe and then trying to somehow read it using Cygwin's I/O library then I wouldn't be surprised to see strange behavior. Otherwise, Cygwin does not impose any strange limitations on CreateNamedPipe.

Thanks Christopher.  This is really at the heart of what I'm trying to find
out.  Does Cygwin implement its own versions of CreateNamedPipe() and
ReadFile() or does it simply link to the standard Windows versions?  If it
passes the calls over to Windows then I'm baffled about why I'm observing
different behaviour.

John