Re: FAQ on installing a build from source ?

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
fred wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
fred wrote:
I assume $make install

ok? but something gone wrong,
so manually what is supposed to get copied where ?

dir \i686-pc-cygwin\winsup\cygwin
has a cygwin0.dll,

I thought there is supposed to be a cygwin1.dll.................

I thought surely there is a FAQ on this ? haven;t found it though

So you missed this

<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.programming.building-cygwin>

from here

FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/

?

My WAG is that you're building in the source directory which, as the FAQ
says, is a no-no.

ok thanks, but what your saying is that still up to date ?

Yes.

I mean configure generated a subdirectory .\i686-pc-cygwin, and make put all the object files and build under that

Sorry, I don't grok the above.

Sorry, don't understand your reply here?

and whats the cygwin0.dll ???

That's what you built. It's used for testing/debugging since you need 2 DLLs in these situations.

I know I built it, just don't know what to do with it and how it fits in

oh, i've now noticed a file winsup\cygwin\new-cygwin1.dll,

Yep.

I GUESS this should be copied to /bin/cygwin1.dll.

too much guesswork.......

If you say so.

though my make check isn't successfull,

Huh? No /etc/fstab file in \??\C:\cygwin\usr\local\etc\fstab.d\admin? Using de
fault root and cygdrive prefix...
cc1: ../../.././winsup/testsuite/libltp/lib/dataascii.c: No such file or directo
ry
make: *** [dataascii.o] Error 1

my /etc doesn't have an fstab file, shouldn't the cygwin setup have done that?

Yes if you installed Cygwin 1.7:

<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2008-12/msg00225.html>

If you installed 1.5, then no. Remember, snapshots are always the current
development version and in this case, there are allot of differences (by
design) between 1.5 and 1.7.

This is an old cygwin install, but I have been re-running the setup, so
$ uname -v
2008-06-12 19:34

sounds like one must actually uninstall and start again....
admin@FRED4 ~/src/cygwin-snapshot-20081214-1/i686-pc-cygwin/winsup/testsuite
$ mount
Huh? No /etc/fstab file in \??\C:\cygwin\usr\local\etc\fstab.d\admin? Using de
fault root and cygdrive prefix...
C:/cygwin/usr/local on / type unknown (binary)
C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount)

Same as above.

hey,thanks for the replies, I needed a break, 40 laps of the pool, now i'm back.