Terminal Bell

Hi,

when running cygwin in a Windows console, I cannot get it to emit an
audible beep -- I always get a "visual bell" (screen flash), even when
using echo ^g directly or using echo -e \\a.

I don't think this is a vi issue, as set vb? returns novisualbell.
Since echo -e \\a and echo ^g do not beep either, I don't think it is a
TERM issue.  The computer beeps in other programs, so it is not a
hardware issue.  I couldn't find any option in stty that might change
this, nor anything in the CYGWIN environment variable.  Finally, the
mail archives didn't offer any clues either.

How can one enable audible beeps in Cygwin?

Best regards,
Konrad Schwarz