Wrong output of id.exe respectively no SSH login possible...

Hello,

on some servers (Windows Server 2003, SP2) we have the problem, that the
passwd and group file are not interpreted correctly, obviously.

If  I execute the tool id.exe without parameters, I get back the following
line:

uid=400(<username>) gid=401(mkpasswd) groups=401(mkpasswd)

If we we run id.exe withe any username as parameter, I get back the
following line:

id: <username>: No such user

It seems, that the passwd and/or group file does/do not exist, but the
files are correctly (the files are the same one we use on every of our
servers). I test also with new created passwd and/or group files with only
very few lines in it.

By every process using  the files passwd and group (e.g.  id.exe or an ssh
authentication process) the files are accessed and read by these processes
(I can see the on filemon tool within Windows).

But now the crazy thing: If I run id.exe with high frequenzy one after
another (e.g. in a loop within a cmd-Skript), it works fine: id.exe gives
back the correct resolution of the user- and group-ids, the ssh logon
process works fine.

What could be the reason of such a problem?

Thanks for help in advance and

best regards

Carsten Porzler