RE: Finally managed to create a jailed SFTP server, but how secure?

TheO wrote on Friday, December 05, 2008 3:46 PM:

>> if you are concerned about the "cygdrive" text there is a registry
entry
>> where you can set that to whatever you want including "". That is
what I do.
>> I would tell you what it is but my windows machine is not here right
now.
>> Then when you "ls /" you get /c, /d etc instead of /cygdrive/c,
/cygdrive/d,
>> etc.
>> cheers,
>> roger wells
>
> I found an occurence of cygdrive in my registry:
>
>   HKLM\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mount v2\cygdrive prefix
>
> I changed it /foo but it didn't worked, it still showed /cygdrive
inside the
> Console
> and jailed SFTP :(
>
> I googled it and apparently it used to work but is no longer supported
at
> least I'm wrong.

I believe it is still supported for Cygwin 1.5. I think what has
happened is the Cygwin DLL created an actual /cygdrive directory (which
is useful for things like bash completion) in your chroot jail. Now that
you've changed the Cygdrive prefix, delete that directory and all should
be good.

BTW, it is preferable to change the Cygdrive prefix with 'mount -c
<posixpath>' rather than mess around in the registry.

--
Bryan Thrall
FlightSafety International