Make program find its dll:s

Hello, I have a few programs that I've compiled using the gcc compiler supplied as part of the cygwin "distribution". These programs depend on a few, fairly large DLL files. I'm now wondering if it's possible to tell a process launched from within a cygwin bash shell to "look in this directory as well for DLL files you might need, not just in the path". Kinda like when you use gcc and specify -I and/or -L for it to find headers and/or libraries in locations that aren't searched by default.
What I want to is to keep these DLLs in one directory that is not in the path and I don't want to each program that use these DLLs to have their own set. Is this possible? I tried setting up a symbolic link with ln -s in the same directory as one of my programs but it still couldn't find the DLL.

- Eric