Re: Cygwin Everyone group permissions and Vista "shared files" (*not* shared folders)

Barry Kelly wrote:
Corinna Vinschen wrote:

No, it's not feasible.  If you leave out the Everyone ACE, the
permissions are not POSIX-like anymore.  Leaving out means that others
have no permissions at all.  Not even to see the permissions.  That's
not correct from a POSIX POV.

Even if others don't have rwx
permissions, they need at least FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES and READ_DAC
permissions.  This requires to have an Everyone ACE.

Why can't we have a security toggle that leaves out the Everyone ACE, and the POSIX subsystem interprets failure to read the DACL as no permissions?

Cygwin still needs to handle with files created by other users and
programs that it doesn't have permission to view the permissions of, so
the second half of this requirement is already present.

I, for one, use Cygwin not primarily as a POSIX emulation layer, but as
my main Windows user interface. IMHO in this situation, being posixly
correct is a handicap that Cygwin could do without, at the user's
choice.

So what about the "nontsec" option doesn't address your need then? <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html>

Holliston, MA 01746