RE: User name problem

Christopher Faylor wrote on 28 October 2008 14:48:
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 01:08:16PM -0000, Dave Korn wrote:
>> John Emmas wrote on 27 October 2008 12:58:

>>> This suggests sending a blank email of the following form:-
>>
>>  I also noticed that the list-unsubscribe addresses are broken; I
>> dropped a note to the overseers' list on Friday.  However, at least for
>> me, the web interface /is/ working: read on.
>
> They are not broken.

  They certainly are not working as described.

> You missed this part:

  I rather think I did not, since I complied with it to the letter.

>   "Remember that your message is being interpreted by a computer not by a
>   person so please use a blank subject and empty content in your message
>   to reduce the risk of your unsubscribe attempt being interpreted as
>   spam."

  That was *exactly* what I did in the first three of four attempts, and it
still didn't work.  You can see them here:

http://cygwin.com/ml/overseers/2008-q4/msg00024.html

  (In the fourth one I added "unsubscribe" in desparation, in case it worked
around an overly keen spam filter, but still no dice.)

> Not every message that is interpreted as spam results in a bounce
> message.

  The $list-$request@ addresses might as well be completely unfiltered,
mightn't they?

> There was also other pertinent advice before this:
>
>  "First of all, always use the automated unsubscription mechanisms...."

  That's what I was doing.  My understanding of "automated unsubscription
mechanisms" include "mailing to the list-unsubscribe address".  (The
"interpreted by a computer not by a person" wording that you quote above
supports that.)  If the advice only meant "web interface", I would have
expected it to only say "web interface".

> Again, if you are having problems unsubscribing do not send them here.

  I didn't.  I sent them to overseers.  When /someone else/ mentioned it here
I responded in order to direct them to the right place and let them know the
problem was in hand.

> Follow the instructions from the FAQ.

  So far you haven't shown where I deviated from them by so much as an inch.

PS.  Welcome back, hope you enjoyed your holiday! :-P~~~

    cheers,
      DaveK