RE: Compile time Local Cygwin vs. VMware session on same system

> > "Manning, Sid" wrote:
> >
> >> I was surprised to see that I could compile much faster under VMware
> >> than on Cygwin on the same host.
> >
> > Why is that surprising?
>
>   Well, I can see why it might be surprising to anyone who isn't aware in
> some
> detail exactly /how/ much work Cygwin has to do 'behind-the-scenes' to
> make
> Windows impersonate the functionality that's built-in to Linux.
>
>   Sid: as you see, it's quite a lot.

[Manning, Sidney]
Of course I needed an excuse to ask the question, surprised or curious either would have sufficed.  So the implementation of a GNU/Posix stack over windows is expensive and that is understandable (I suffer from cross platform headaches all the time).  I knew that cygwin was somewhat slower than native Linux but I never took the time to make the measurements and seeing the numbers gave me a hope that maybe I had a simple configuration problem.  If there was some magic bullet that could shave part of the expense from these types of operations I would gladly use it and that was why I posted my message.

While much of my development is done on GNU/Linux many, if not most, of my users rely on Cygwin/Windows as their primary run-time environment.  Most don't recognize the performance penalty but it would have been great to swizzle the config make things X% faster.

I appreciate everyone's insight and I will definitely checkout Mecklenburg's make book to get hard stats on the differences.