Re: C/C++ and the boost library: /usr/include/boost does not get included

Adem wrote:

> I think there's something wrong with the installation routine
> for the latest boost library (1.33.1-4) in cygwin.
> Somehow one cannot change to that directory,
> and because of that also the compiler cannot include stuff from there.
>
> For example my C++ file (stattool.cpp) has the following include:
>    #include <boost/filesystem/operations.hpp>
>
> gc++ brings the following error:
> stattool.cpp:8:43: boost/filesystem/operations.hpp: No such file or directory

use: g++ -I/usr/include/boost-1_33_1/ ...

> The code compiles fine under Linux (Debian et al.).
> The boost include directory is normally /usr/include/boost.
> The following shell command gives the following output:
> $ ls -l /usr/include/boo*
> total 0
> drwxrwx---+ 48 Administrator Benutzer 0 Oct  4 21:36 boost
>
> But funny thing is: one cannot change to that directory :-)
>
> $ cd /usr/include/boost
> bash: cd: /usr/include/boost: No such file or directory
>
> Maybe it's a symbolic link issue that's not working under Win2003 ?
> DOS/Windows says:
>
> dir \cygwin\usr\include\boo*
> 10/04/2008  09:36 PM    <DIR>          boost-1_33_1
>
> and finally therein is the right directory named "boost".
> So the boost library has got installed one level deeper
> and somehow ls -l gives weird output (symbolic link issue?),
> and the compiler cannot include header files in "boost"  (ie. /usr/include/boost).

No symbolic link issue.  You're just expecting the wrong output, ls
shows the directory contents if there's only one path corresponding to
your wildcard, i.e. boo* resolves to boost-1_33_1 only, so it shows its
contents.

On the Boost problem, it was probably meant to be handled by
alternatives (so you could have more than one version installed), but is
not.  I don't have it installed but perhaps there are notes under
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/ that describe why is it installed that way or how
is it supposed to be used.
--
René Berber