cygwin crashes when I execute "make ..." on vista

Hello,
this is my first post and my first attempt to use cygwin.
I am running it on vista 35 bit sp1 system and wanted to compile a gcc
source code with it.
(http://www.sharpfin.zevv.nl/images/c/c1/Sharpflash-src-0.1.tar.bz2)

When I try to execute "make -f Makefile.windows" or also just "make", the
complete shell crashes with windows reporting showing "cc1.exe doesn't run
anylonger".

Only one line is shown in the bash before that error comes up and that is:
gcc -Wall -DLINUX_PPDEV -g -o ppt.o -c ppt.c -DVER=\"0.1\"

thanks for all your help,
BR
Christian