Re: script

Brian Mathis wrote:

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 12:15 PM, r <r-trev@fastwebmail.it> wrote:
ok, I'm going to learn to manage basic cygwin-linux features
[...]
I saw unlike linux that cygwin does not warn me when there are new
[...]
Is there a way ( like in linux ) to send a message to my prompt
[...]

I think one source of confusion is because of the areas I have highlighted. Don't expect cygwin to be like linux, because it is not linux. It is cygwin. Cygwin gives Windows a "UNIX-like" environment, it does not turn Windows into linux or UNIX.

You are helping him the wrong way: the original question was nonsense, Linux doesn't notify users of new mail, the shell can, other applications can... and that's probably what he is chasing (but doesn't admit he doesn't know Linux well enough so he just throws the "I can do it in Linux, why not in Cygwin?").

The practical way of getting mail notifications (in Windows and any other environment with a GUI) is through your mail client.

Yes, bash (and other shells) have the option to notify you. Use 'shopt -s mailwarn' and define where your spool is (for instance, export MAIL='/var/spool/mail/user-name').

Besides, using a thread to solve multiple questions is bad practice.
--
René Berber