Re: opendir/readdir failure on non-Samba Unix-hosted remote volumess

On Mon, July 28, 2008 13:31, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jul 28 12:52, Sam Nelson wrote:
>> Our main fileserver is Solaris running TotalNet Advanced Server (TAS),
>> which is `Samba-like, but not Samba' from the Windows PoV at least.  In
>
> Means what?

I mean from the `user experience' or `look&feel' angle.

> You need to debug this further for a solution.  What you should
> do:
>
> - Fetch the source code of a small test application called GetVolInfo
>   from http://cygwin.de/GetVolInfo.c
>   Build it with `gcc -g -o GetVolInfo GetVolInfo.c -lntdll'
>   and run it like this: `./GetVolInfo /cygdrive/h'.  Paste the output
>   in a reply to this mail.

$ ./GetVolInfo /cygdrive/h
Device Type        : 7
Characteristics    : 10
FileFsObjectIdInformation failed, c000000d
Volume Name        : <?>
Serial Number      : 0
Max Filenamelength : 255
Filesystemname     : <UNIXFS>
Flags              : 400f
  FILE_CASE_SENSITIVE_SEARCH  : TRUE
  FILE_CASE_PRESERVED_NAMES   : TRUE
  FILE_UNICODE_ON_DISK        : TRUE
  FILE_PERSISTENT_ACLS        : TRUE
  FILE_FILE_COMPRESSION       : FALSE
  FILE_VOLUME_QUOTAS          : FALSE
  FILE_SUPPORTS_SPARSE_FILES  : FALSE
  FILE_SUPPORTS_REPARSE_POINTS: FALSE
  FILE_SUPPORTS_REMOTE_STORAGE: FALSE
  FILE_VOLUME_IS_COMPRESSED   : FALSE
  FILE_SUPPORTS_OBJECT_IDS    : FALSE
  FILE_SUPPORTS_ENCRYPTION    : FALSE
  FILE_NAMED_STREAMS          : FALSE
  FILE_READ_ONLY_VOLUME       : FALSE
  FILE_SEQUENTIAL_WRITE_ONCE  : FALSE
  FILE_SUPPORTS_TRANSACTIONS  : FALSE
$

> - Build the latest Cygwin 1.5.25 from source
>
>   http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.programming.building-cygwin

I never tried that before.  I can give it a shot, I guess.

>   The idea is to get the exact status codes.

I can see that.

> Both of the above actions allow us to find a workaround which might
> find its way into the upcoming Cygwin release 1.7.  However, if TAS
> is is behaving like really old versions of Samba, I can't promise we
> will support it.

Assuming the above GetVolInfo output doesn't answer the issue one way or
the other, then, I guess I get back when I've done that.  I'm no fan of
Samba, and I have MacOS to support with AFP from the same server, so I'm
not about to throw TAS away.

Thanks,
--
SAm.

--
Academic Excellence at the Heart of Scotland.
The University of Stirling is a charity registered in Scotland,