Re: Problems with file permissions and cp when running on Vista

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
I'd start at the source.  Give yourself POSIX-style access to the files
to start with.  'cp' will preserve that access.  'cp' and many other
utilities don't take ACL permissions into account.  They are silently
ignored.  For whatever reason, it looks like your source file has no
POSIX permissions for user, group, and other.  Fix that with 'chmod'
and I think you'll have solved your problem.

I struggle to give myself posix style permissions. I have a file README.txt in the root of my build source tree: $ getfacl README.txt # file: README.txt # owner: Tom # group: None user::--- group::--- group:SYSTEM:rwx group:Administrators:rwx group:Users:r-x mask:rwx other:---

If I then do chmod --
$ chmod 755 README.txt
chmod: changing permissions of `README.txt': Permission denied

I can't modify the file with VI, but I can CAT it, so cygwin thinks I've got read access to the file somehow. Copy the file and I get no permissions at all.

I do have write access to the file though as far as windows is concerned. If I look at the security properties of the file from Windows Explorer it looks as though I'm getting write permission on the file because I'm a member of "Authenticated Users" and that has write access. "Authenticated Users" doesn't appear in the output from getfacl. Maybe that's my issue.

So I'm not sure how I set myself up with correct posix permissions on this file so that CP will work.