Re: postgresql: libpq4 and libpq5 collide

On Jul 21 14:15, Reini Urban wrote:
> 2008/7/21 Yaakov (Cygwin Ports):
> > Both libpq4 and libpq5 contain the same /usr/bin/cygpq.dll file.
> > setup.exe cannot handle a file coming from more than one package; this
> > is bound to cause problems.
>
> Yes, I did this on purpose, resp. all the libpq packagers don't
> version their so's.
> The postgresql team does not like versioned so's.
> Version 5 contains all the backwards compatible functions from version 4.
>
> I see no technical problems with setup.
> First uninstall (remove it), the install (installs the new, which is the same).
>
> Oops. You mean when you want to install both and then uninstall libpq4?
> Hmm, maybe a preremove script for libpq4 is needed therefore.
> But this does not help.
> Or just a re-install of libpq5.
>
> Probably best is to remove libpq4 when installing libpq5.
> Can setup handle this? No. Hmm...

I think the basic problem is that two versioned libs exist (4, 5),
even though no versioning is provided, nor necessary.  The versioning
is only required as soon as backward compatibility is broken by the
new lib version.  This isn't the case, so libpq4 should never have been
created in the first place, rather just a libpq.  Since libpq4 exists
now, I think the right thing to do would be to use this name until
a new lib version breaks backward compatibility.  Then it's time for
a libpq>4 and the DLL in it should start to use versioning, too.

Corinna

Red Hat