Re: packages

On 2008-07-18, r wrote:
> I'm new about cygwin, but I use from a lot SuSE and OpenSuSE
> can I install packages rpm from linux distributions on cygwin ?

No.  First off, Cygwin doesn't use Red Hat's package manager, it
uses its own package manager, setup.exe.  Secondly, binaries built
for Linux will not run under Cygwin--the binary interfaces to the
operating system are totally different.

> And tar.gz ( compiling ) ?

It depends on the dependencies of the source code you are compiling
and whether those dependencies are available for Cygwin.  I've had
good luck compiling on Cygwin code written for other Unixes.
Sometimes the code compiles "as is".  Other times I've had to make
minor changes to the names of header files.  In one case I had to
change the function used to access the termio interface because the
function chosen originally wasn't supported on Cygwin.

The only way to find out is to download and unpack the .tar.gz
archive and try to build the program, then troubleshoot any errors
you encounter.

Regards,
Gary