Re: colons in Cygwin (was Re: make-3.81-3 (ITA??))

On Jul 17 22:47, Reini Urban wrote:
> Rob Walker schrieb:
>> I didn't mean for anyone (especially the package maintainer) to infer
>> that make wasn't being actively supported.  My apologies for any
>> misunderstanding.
>> I'm very interested in your opinions on colons in paths.  I'd prefer to
>> hear directly what they are, to avoid any misunderstanding that might
>> arise from me trying to glean them from the archives.
>> Questions I have in particular:
>> 1. what are your thoughts on POSIX support for colons in paths?
>
> Colons in filenames are fine and will be supported with cygwin-1.7.
> But c:/ it will not map to the root of some c drive, it will map to the
> subdir "c:"

Uhm... not quite.  While colons will work as normal parts of a filename
in the general case, it's still very hairy to differ between an incoming
POSIX and an incoming Win32 path in case of a path starting with X:

Cygwin 1.7 still isn't Win32 input path agnostic and can't be, because a
couple of internals also rely on this feature so far.  The result is
that, for the time being, paths starting with X:/ or X:\ are handled as
Win32 paths.

So, to treat c:/ as subdir c:, you have to prepend a ./ in 1.7.  I'm not
happy with this, but I think (and hope) it's a minor discomfort.

Corinna

Red Hat