Re: Freeze with the letter "e"

I wish I could say "you caught me" when commenting that I am trying to get someone else to do the work for me, but Goggle-ing with your suggestions didn't really provide an answer except to clarify that it wasn't the letter 'e' ... which was the red herring that had me curious enough to take the bait.

Full disclosure, I did not try the Google before I sent my question and, yes, that was lazy of me.

Eric Blake's later reply gave me a better clue as to what might be happening, thanks.

I've seen the dos vs linux/unix CRLF before but only as a visual ickyness inside vim or a caveat when parsing on '\n' expecting a '\0' after ... and use dos2unix / unix2dos often. Compiles seem to work under RHEL/Fedora gcc and MS VisualStudio without problem, which is the majority of interaction between the two along with vim.

I had never heard of the problem jrsyangl described. The "very strange results" that Sam Hanes referred to just haven't come up in my experience. I'm now more aware of possible issues.

Appreciate all the replies.
Paul