Re: Freeze with the letter "e"

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Paul Newell wrote:
>>
>> Since jrsyangl hasn't written back on this one, I have to take the bait and
>> ask "why CRLF and the lowercase 'e'?".
>>

> Check the archives with google:
>
> CRLF .inputrc site:cygwin.com
>
> Hint:  It has nothing to do with 'the letter "e"'.
>
> Hint:  This is Cygwin.  It emulates UNIX(tm).  Does UNIX like CRLF line endings?

I think what he's trying to say is that having DOS-style (CR-LF) line
endings in a *NIX-style file (which uses LF line endings) can have
very strange results, especially involving entries near the end of
lines. It should be noted that this is only true if you told setup.exe
to use *NIX-style line endings. If you told it to use DOS-style line
endings, you'll get the same problem if the file is *NIX-style.

The gist of it: If it expects LF and sees CR-LF you have problems, and
vice-versa.

You can convert between the two styles with `dos2unix` and `unix2dos`.

-- Sam Hanes
elemecca AT gmail DOT com

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to
undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made,
and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward towards the
light; but the laden traveler may never reach the end of it.
- Ursula K. Le Guin; The Tombs of Atuan