Re: un-indenting doesn't work with vim

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 9:01 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jul 11 14:53, Robert Latest wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> When writing stuff in "vim", I can't unindent without first havin to
>> leave the Insert mode. In other words, I type a line, hit "enter",
>> then "tab", and do the next line. When I hit enter again, the cursor
>> goes onto the first position of the indented line, which is what I
>> want. But if at some point I wish to un-indent by pressing backspace
>> at the beginning of a new line, nothing happens. I first have to exit
>> Insert mode, then use "x" to delete one tab, and then go back into
>> insert mode.
>>
>> This is very annoying. On my Linux box at home, vim behaves as expected.
>
> That's not standard behaviour in vim, rather a special setting on your
> machine.  Either in your own .vimrc or in the system-wise vim config files.
>
> The standard way to unindent is to type Ctrl-D.
>

> Corinna

Exactly so.  The vim setting the OP is looking for is ":set
backspace=indent,eol,start" to allow backspacing, respectively, over
automatically added indenting, the beginning of a line (deleting the
EOL of the previous line), and the place where you started insert
mode.  Throw that in your .vimrc and things should work the way you
want.

~Matt