un-indenting doesn't work with vim

Hello list,

When writing stuff in "vim", I can't unindent without first havin to
leave the Insert mode. In other words, I type a line, hit "enter",
then "tab", and do the next line. When I hit enter again, the cursor
goes onto the first position of the indented line, which is what I
want. But if at some point I wish to un-indent by pressing backspace
at the beginning of a new line, nothing happens. I first have to exit
Insert mode, then use "x" to delete one tab, and then go back into
insert mode.

This is very annoying. On my Linux box at home, vim behaves as expected.

The behavior occcurs both in the Cygwin DOS window and in an xterm.

Thanks,
robert