Re: Updating cygwin from a remote shell?

Thomas Walker wrote:
Apologies if this is a newbie question... I did a decent amount of looking through mailing lists but couldn't find anything relevant.

I'm a Linux/Unix person by hobby and profession and don't really do much Windows but my family (living in another state) is still rather Windows centric. A hard disk failure ago I decided to place a dirt
cheap headless Linux box with mirrored raid on their network and setup cygwin on their Windows machines so that I could cobble together an easy backup solution based on cron, ssh, rdist, and fuse.

That all works fine and has done so for some time. I'm a little bit of a security nut though (and sometime also want to be able to add new features for myself and for them) and would like to be able to easily
update cygwin and/or install new packages onto the Windows/Cygwin boxes from a remote shell.

I know I can setup VNC and all that fun stuff and run setup.exe but is there an easier way? The usual yum, apt, up2date, etc. don't seem to be options...
There is no yum, apt, up2date, etc. You don't need VNC. RDP is already on XP machines. Use rdesktop(1).
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
If I want your opinion, I'll ask you to fill out the necessary forms.