Re: setting default group and/or disabling CYGWIN ACL behavior

On Jul  1 02:07, starlight@binnacle.cx wrote:
> Constantly have to wrestle with CYGWIN imposed ACLs on files I
> create.  It's bothersome to constantly issue 'cacls /t' and
> 'icacls * /reset /t' commands to strip out the CYGWIN overrides
> after receiving complaints from others who can't access the
> files.  No one is in the Administrators group.

chmod?  setfacl?  umask?

> The best solution would be to just turn it off (!) so that
> normal Windows ACL inheritance works the way it does outside of
> CYGWIN.
>
> A possible work-around if the above ideal solution is
> unavailable would be to have some way to change the group id to
> something other than "None".

Everybody is in the None group if you don't have a DC.  So I
don't see the problem if you use a umask matching your needs.

>   Can't find a 'newgrp' command and
> the '/etc/passwd' file and 'bash' login syntax clearly do not
> support this.

bash has nothing to do with that, of course.  As for /etc/passwd,
you didn't read the user's guide, apparently:
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-files

>   Don't see any way to set the process default
> group in Windows without running a domain controller.

There is no way.  That doesn't mean we can't rectify this in
Cygwin (within the imposed Windows rules).  See above.

Corinna

Red Hat