Re: git-svn breaks when Perl is upgraded to 5.10

Daniel Hulme schrieb:
First off, I want to thank you all for providing an environment that
makes it much less unpleasant to develop software under Windows. In one
go it provides all the tools I take for granted developing on Unixy
platforms. But this once, I have a problem:

I updated Cygwin recently, and noticed that it upgraded Perl to 5.10.
After I did so, git-svn  (in the git package) stopped working, instead
complaining on startup that Git.pm was not found in @INC. Indeed, when I
checked, it was present in the 5.8 directory but not that for 5.10. As
Git.pm is pure-Perl, as a workaround I copied that across, and ditto
Error.pm (and its submodules in Error/).

Our new @INC: /usr/lib/perl5/5.10/i686-cygwin /usr/lib/perl5/5.10 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10/i686-cygwin /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10/i686-cygwin /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8

What is missing is /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8 to make Git.pm and Error work out of the box. But I rather wait for Eric when he is back from holidays.

Copying Error and Git.pm to vendor_perl/5.10
is fine, but not for svn support.
For Alien::SVN you have fire up cpan Alien::SVN then.

Even that didn't work, as git-svn started to complain about missing
SVN:: modules (from the Alien-SVN distribution). These are not
pure-Perl, so the simple workaround didn't work. I couldn't compile them
myself without faffing around with the subversion and APR sources, which
is too involved for a temporary workaround IMO, so I manually reverted
to Perl 5.8 instead, after which it works fine.

Ah, ok. So this will need a subversion-perl upgrade to 5.10.

Browsing the cygwin-apps archive, I see that subversion-perl is not on
the list of packages thought to need upgrading, so I guess it just got
overlooked and merely wants recompiling and packaging. These things
happen. As for the git package, the basic functionality is fine, but to
make git-svn work again I suppose the install locations for the Perl
modules it ships will want updating.

Thanks for hinting us at upgrading subversion-perl.

Eric, the Git maintainer is currently on a two weeks vacation,
so it will need some time from this side.

Thanks for your attention. Please CC me on any replies as I am not on
the list.
--
Reini Urban
perl