Running fontforge.exe does nothing

Hi.

I've installed the latest cygwin on my Windows XP Home system named "SYS3", and it appears to run perfectly. I have plenty of disk and memory space.

www.springtimesoftware.com/ff-screen02.JPG shows the result of typing xinit. (Typing startx is similar for me, except that the created X window is smaller.)

I installed the latest fontforge, following the official instructions.

When I run fontforge in the X window, nothing happens. www.springtimesoftware.com/ff-screen01.JPG shows this. As you can see, there is no error message. (I would have thought this was a fontforge question, but I was asked to post it here.)

Does anyone have an idea of what I could have done wrong?

I should say I know next to nothing about cygwin, fontforge, or Linux. I'm only interested in running fontforge, which requires cygwin. I believe lots of people do run fontforge on Windows, so an answer may be relevant to people other than myself.

David