Re: setup.exe needs package name selection filter

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 8:37 AM, Eric Blake wrote:
> [Please avoid http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU - don't top-post]
> [Please avoid feeding the spammers -
> http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR ]

Sorry, I need to stop using GMail Mobile to post to this list.  It
leaves me no option about either of those.

> | Is there a ticketing/tracking system for Cygwin where one can submit
> | feature requests?  I

> The mailing list archives are as good as anything else.

Not really, because they're full of all sorts of messages that are
neither defects or feature requests, and repeated requests don't get
collapsed into a single thread.

> You're forgetting something fundamental - this is a volunteer process, so unless someone
> volunteers to expend the resources to maintain a request tracking system,
> it won't be any more effective than list traffic.

Yes, it's a volunteer process.  I get that.  Pretty much every open
source project is a volunteer project.  And it's true that if there
were a tracking system, someone(s) would need to monitor it to mark
duplicates and prioritize and such.  But that might be less work than
replying to these periodic messages about why there's no tracking
system :)
Someone must be directing the overall course of the development effort
already, right?   Is there a roadmap?  Or  just a bunch of people
submitting patches as the mood strikes?

> Read the archives.  This has been repeatedly suggested, but no one has yet
> proposed how to solve the chicken-and-egg problem of how you get apt or
> yum first installed (how do you install cygwin1.dll with a program that
> depends on the existence of cygwin1.dll?).

Why does the initial installation wizard have to be the same as the
post-installation package manager?  Certainly the extra first-install
bits of setup.exe (e.g. "pick a mirror") are some of the more annoying
things about using it later on. If you take out most of the
flexibility from the initial setup, it doesn't need to have the same
capabilities as a full package manager; it can just give you the
default set of packages,  or maybe let you pick from two or three
canned sets targeted at developers and/or heavy X users.  You could
probably even use InstallShield or similar.

--
Mark J. Reed <markjreed@gmail.com>