Fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

Dear all,

We have several sshd installations based on Cygwin, running on Server
2003 SP1 (and also SP2).

Over the last 12 months or so, there seems to have been a lot of
problems with sshd - the eventlogs cite a fork: resource temporarily
unavailable - error.

I've checked the obvious (ie port 22/tcp isn't already bound
elsewhere, ran filemon/regmon) but failed to find the reason.  Is
there a way of logging _which_ resource is temporarily (or rather,
persistently) unavailable?

There seems to be a higher occurrence of this issue on Citrix PS
4.0/4.5 presentation servers, but after ruling out various memory and
cpu optimisations (eg DLL rebasing - I've tried the rebaseall script
and confirmed that none of the sshd or cygrunsrv dependencies have
been touched by Citrix MPS), I can't pin it down to a specific patch
level or configuration.

I've seen various other threads relating to this issue, but no
solution.  I'd like to find the solution, but I seem to be missing
some vital pieces of the puzzle.

I have a nasty feeling this is going to involve learning a bit more
about understanding the drwtsn32.exe crashdumps (manually attaching
the debugger, as crashdumps aren't a symptom of this issue).

Thanks in advance - for any pointers/hints,

--
AdamT
"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents