RE: Extra spaces in text files in cygwin

gmarsha11 wrote on 11 June 2008 16:14:

> The files are being created by HP Data Protector (backup management
> software).  After I changed the file, I realized that the next time DP
> modifies it, it will change the encoding.  DP can read the file when it is
> ANSI encoded, but will always write in Unicode

  That's presumably because filenames on an NTFS filing system are allowed
to use unicode.  DP probably has to decide what way to encode the file at
the start, when it creates it, and before it knows if any of the files it
ends up backing up use unicode names.  (Well, either that, or it's just
mindlessly blatting across the wide strings returned from one of the NT API
query file info calls...)

> -- unless I can find out how to change the encoding it uses.

  How about something like "File an enhancement request in HP's internal
bug-reporting system for your colleagues in the software department to take
a look at"?  ;-)

    cheers,
      DaveK

[ This email was bounced first time round with a "spam score too high"
message.  Perhaps it's being fooled by the ratio of quoted to fresh text, so
adding this little paragraph here should help.  If not, well, I also just
mailed the global allow address, so maybe that'll make it work.  Please,
don't let me have to fill it full of lorem ipsum...! ]