Re: Extra spaces in text files in cygwin

Gary Johnson wrote:

> On 2008-06-10, gmarsha11 wrote:
>>
>> Does this mean it's necessary to change the encoding for any files I
>> might
>> need to cat, grep awk, etc.?
>
> I'm no expert on any of this, but as far as I know, all traditional
> Unix tools that deal with strings consider a string to be a sequence
> of 8-bit characters.  So the simple answer is yes.  The more
> complete answer is that it depends on what you're using those files
> for and what other programs need to read and/or write those files.

The files are being created by HP Data Protector (backup management
software).  After I changed the file, I realized that the next time DP
modifies it, it will change the encoding.  DP can read the file when it is
ANSI encoded, but will always write in Unicode -- unless I can find out how
to change the encoding it uses.