Re: Thought/Suggestion/Is it Possible for the new Cygwin 1.7 /etc/fstab

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jun  3 13:11, Brian Keener wrote:
> > With my recent attempt and ultimate success at compiling a debug
> > version of Cygwin - I realize I must have stumbled on the new 1.7
> > version and subsequently tripped over the new /etc/fstab.  Now that I
> > have all of this working I wonder if there is a way on the new fstab to
> > dictate that a drive like a cdrom (my D Drive on my laptop) is
> > unmountable so that when it auto mounts one that is in the drive I can
> > do the correct process and unmount the drive and then mount again when
> > a new cd is placed in the drive.
>
> I don't quite understand what you're trying to accomplish.  It sounds
> like you already get what you want without having to use umount/mount.
> Either a CD is in the drive or not.  If a CD is in the drive, you get to
> it through /cygdrive/d, if there's no CD, there's no logical drive and
> thus no /cygdrive/d.

Well - what I'm thinking is what I seem to recall that Unix/Linux does in
that I can set up fstab to know of a mount point but not mount it
automatically until I tell it too and then I can mount and unmount at will
for changing the cd.

In afterthought I am probably overthinking this but my initial thought
followed this scenario:

1) I have a cd in the drive and I start Cygwin and Cygwin autostarts the cd
or optionally I could have an entry in fstab that would tell it *not* to
automount just the cd.
2) I want to change that cd to another cd so as I would in Unix to keep all
the caching and such happy I unmount and then mount the new cd.
3) Then I can access it.

In Unix/Linux I seem to recall the system gets upset if you remove a cd
without unmount first (since it is mounted to a mountpoint which is now not
the same thing) and then mount the new cd.

But as I say I am probably overthinking this for the Cygwin on Windows
environment - does it really care if I change cd's without a unmount and
then mount?

bk