cygwin - cvs and xinet giving 'setuid failed' error

Hello,

my login id is

$ id
uid=12253(Shailesh.Ligade) gid=10513(Domain Users) groups=544(Administrators),545(Users),11546(Contractor_Kratos),10513(Domain Users),12201(Skunk M Drive)

$ whoami
Shailesh.Ligade

I have installed, cvs with cygwin. I did init a cvs repository

cvs -d /usr/local/cvsroot init

$ ls -al /usr/local/cvsroot/
total 0
drwxrwxr-x+ 3 Shailesh.Ligade Users        0 Jun  6 15:20 .
drwxrwx---+ 6 Shailesh.Ligade Users        0 Jun  6 15:20 ..
drwxrwxr-x+ 3 Shailesh.Ligade Domain Users 0 Jun  9 08:41 CVSROOT

my /etc/xinted.conf is:

defaults
{
        instances               = 60
        log_type                = FILE /var/log/servicelog
        log_on_success          = HOST PID
        log_on_failure          = HOST
        cps                     = 25 30
}

The login appears to be working correctly (i have setup a passwd file with empty passwords)
$ cvs -d :pserver:shailesh.ligade@hxggold02w030:/usr/local/cvsroot login
Logging in to :pserver:shailesh.ligade@hxggold02w030:2401/usr/local/cvsroot
CVS password:

after login any other cvs command gives me 'setuid failed'

$ cvs -d :pserver:shailesh.ligade@hxggold02w030:/usr/local/cvsroot status
setuid failed: Permission denied

I even tried

mkpasswd -l -d > /etc/passwd
mkgroup -l -d -u > /etc/group

What is wrong??

thanks
Shailesh

Attention:
authorized to state them to be the views of any such entity. The
information contained in this message and or attachments is
intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and
may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  If you
material from any system and destroy any copies.