Re: rsync immediately hangs when connecting via ssh (still trying to fix, revisited from Aug 07)

My ISP (site5) doesn't seem to be running the RSYNC daemon. Can I use
a local rsync daemon to connect to a remote host that is NOT running
the daemon? I can't seem to make it work.

I didn't see rsync listed in Services for Unix, but I was able to get
the cygwin rsync daemon working. May be a moot point if the ISP
doesn't run it or perhaps it's just my syntax.

<-- shows my local data
$ rsync -a localhost::modulename/coh/*
-rwx------  1776009011 2008/05/10 18:27:30 COHSetup.exe
-->

<-- gives an error xmitting to remote host
$ rsync -a localhost::modulename/coh/* lanfreak@lanfreak.com:/tmp
The source and destination cannot both be remote.
rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at
/home/lapo/packaging/tmp/rsync-2.6.9/main.c(1068) [receiver=2.6.9]
-->

I hate giving up getting rsync via ssh working.... moving on for now.