MS or cygwin dll debug tools/ was "sys/sockio.h" etc.

Regarding recent comments on dll problems and understanding cygwin1.dll versus msvcrt,
I was curious to know if anyone has used these ( free? ) MS tools or has comments on competing
products?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc267862.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx

I thought I may be able to download a few pieces like some of the sysinternals products
but AFAIK you now need to download 17MB and hope the msi doesn't do anything
funny. It may be worth it but if there is a better alternative I'd like to try that first.
Apparently gdb didn't let you do anything until getting to main() which is after the initial
process loads but some of the pages for the above tools suggest you can examine loading.

Also, fwiw, that glut program I cited earlier as an example of something that seems
to work but that invokes msvcrt and cygwin1, is available here,

http://www.spottext.com/marchywka/distroform.cfm?src=cygwindll

but I will warn you that there is nothing ready for distribution and the pages are a bit confusing.
I collected a bunch of works-in-progress and started to make them available as part of
other work I was doing. I finally did determine that the streaming data viewer and
molecule viewer uses for the glut program were in fact useful to me and tried to
document some of the features but I'm not sure I will ever document or clean anything
up to the point of being coherent. The glut program does not always seem to start up reliably
on first invokation after a reboot and does have odd response to ctrl-C but otherwise seems
fine ( I assumed this was an issue with opengl,  not cygwin).

Thanks.