cygwin/mysql entering password, some characters plain text

I just freshly installed cygwin along with a variety of other things.

When attempting to connect to mysql from within a cygwin bash shell, it goes something like this:

[wfinn@wfinn3:~] $ mysql -uroot -p
Enter password: **ldk*j****vjl*
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
[wfinn@wfinn3:~] $ ldkjvjl
bash: ldkjvjl: command not found
[wfinn@wfinn3:~] $

When typing my password (slowly, quickly, whatever), some of the characters show up in plain text and apparently are not sent as part of the password.  If I try to type anything on the prompt after attempting to connect, it first prints all of those characters.

I tried reinstalling all the base modules for cygwin, same effect.

The windows command prompt has no problems.

Has anybody encountered something like this before?