Re: Cygwin Mail and Exchange Server

Ronald Fischer wrote:
Dave Korn <dave.korn <at> artimi.com> writes:
at a customer's site, I would like to be able to send email from bash scripts. The setup of the software is pretty standard: Usually mail is sent and read using Outlook, and there is an Exchange server lurking somewhere to do the job. What do I have to do in such an environment in order to be able to send mail from cygwin?
You need to ask your admins for POP and SMTP access details of your exchangeserver,
I guess in my case (sending only) I just need SMTP. Or is it necessary that ssmtp.conf always contains POP too? And, AFIK, the access method to the exchange server is not POP, but IMAP...
No need to ask the admins, you can lookup these settings directly in Outlook under Tools: Email accounts. It probably won't say anything about POP/IMAP but you can just do "telnet <mail server> POP" or "telnet <mail server> IMAP". If it responds with a server at the other end then you know it's up. I'd recommend IMAP and I usually just through that server name into Thunderbird and I'm good to go. You can enter the same settings into your /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf file too..
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Always borrow money from pessimists. They don't expect to be paid back.