Re: links broken during a backup (not restore), need more info on how they work to fix & file bug with vendor

On Fri, 16 May 2008, vapid vapid wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I believe my backup program (CMS ABS Bounceback) is mucking with the
> links in my cygwin and work directories when it is creating a backup.
> It doesn't appear to affect links created by windows, only those created
> by cygwin.  I don't fully understand the cygwin links: there are some
> that end in .lnk and are close to windows shortcuts, and there are
> others that don't end in .lnk and start with !<symlink>.  Both get
> broken.  The files still exist, but I get the message "/usr/bin/vi:
> /usr/bin/vi: cannot execute binary file".  vi looks like a plain file
> and contains "!<symlink>vim.exe".  Running vim works fine.
>
> It happened to me a few weeks ago and wasn't sure why.  I re-installed
> cygwin & fixed all the shortcuts in my working/compiled src directories
> by deleting and recreating them.  Is there an easier way to fix this?
> I found one post in the archives saying try "attrib +R", but that didn't
> help at all, on either kind of link.

You need to use "attrib +R" on .lnk files and "attrib +S" on the
plain-text links.

On a side note, you can (re)create plain-text symlinks from the command
line by using "CYGWIN=nowinsymlinks ln -s FILE DEST".

> I've searched the mailing lists and google and wasn't able to find any
> help for my problem.  I know people here will say it's a problem with
> the application, but if I go to the manufacturer they'll say
> cyg-what(?), our software works fine with windows.

Just tell them that a backup program has no business clearing "read-only"
and "system" attributes on any files.
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor.  That is the whole
Torah; the rest is commentary.  Go and study it." -- Rabbi Hillel