Re: Feature request: rm to recycle bin

> > Given that the code for sending to recycyle bin is already in place, may I
> > request that a command line option be added to rm and rmdir to send all
> > files to the bin? This would be extremely handy for use in scripts, to me
> > at the very least.
>
> The code to move files into the bin is an underlying, hidden feature of
> the unlink(2), rmdir(2) and rename(2) POSIX calls.  The rm(1) tool has
> no access to this functionality and there's no intention to add a
> non-POSIX API to allow any tool to use it.

There is a library called libtrash that implements a trash can for GNU/Linux by
intercepting the above calls:
http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~marriaga/software/libtrash/ .  No one has packaged
it for Cygwin.  It requires the use of LD_PRELOAD, which I believe is supposed
to work in Cygwin, although I've never tried to use it.  Hm... might be
interesting to try... I'll look at it.  A.