Can't set access rights with chmod

Please have a look at the following transscript:

$ ls -l x1.pl
-rw-r--r-- 1 fischron mkgroup-l-d 104 May  5 15:54 x1.pl
$ chmod 0777 x1.pl
$ ls -l x1.pl
-rw-r--r-- 1 fischron mkgroup-l-d 104 May  5 15:54 x1.pl
$ chmod +x x1.pl
$ ls -l x1.pl
-rw-r--r-- 1 fischron mkgroup-l-d 104 May  5 15:54 x1.pl

The same happens when I try other access right combinations.
Somehow, the files get access rights when created (typically
0644, sometimes 0755), but I have no way to change the access
right afterwards.

This happens only on files stored on my networked drive.

In the Cygwin FAQ, I found the following hint:

  "The most common case is that your /etc/passwd or /etc/group
   files are not properly set up. If ls -l shows a group of
   mkpasswd or mkgroup, you need to run one or both of those
   commands."

Hmmm... my group is not listed as mkgroup, but as the pretty
similar mkgroup-l-d. OTOH, chmod works fine on the
non-networked drive (/cygdrive/c), and there ls -l shows
mkgroup-l-d as well. Also, neither in the man page of mkgroup,
nor on the cygwin FAQ, I could find a hint on how to use the
"mkgroup" program to remedy my situation - if this really is
the reason for the problem at all.

What could I do to get it working?

Ronald