SetErrorMode (SEM_FAILCRITICALERRORS) not working on Vista?

I was running the libtool-2.2 testsuite on Vista [32bit Home Premium] (cygwin-1.5.25-12), and ran into something I thought was long dead: I kept getting popup windows like:

X.exe has stopped working
Windows is checking for a solution to the problem...

which after about five seconds was replaced by:

X.exe has stopped working
A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Which would then wait patiently for me to click 'Close Program' -- meanwhile, the testsuite was also suspended. This happened

six times [hell.exe] in demo-relink.test
six times [depdemo.exe] in depdemo-relink.test

which are part of the libtool-1.5-derived "old" test suite, and

twelve times [m-static.exe] in 27: static linking flags for program
twelve times [m-static-libtool-libs.exe] in (the same test)
twelve more times [m-static.exe] in (the same test)
twelve more times [m-static-libtool-libs.exe] in (the same test)

which are part of the new autotest testsuite in libtool-2.2.

I think the 6x repetitiveness is cygwin's 'retry' algorithm kicking in. When an app fails to load, cygwin tries again five more times (modifiable using CYGWIN="proc_retry:n").

So I understand why there are (multiples of) six failures each -- these relinked versions in the old test suite (and the occurances in the new test suite) are expected to fail with either dll-not-found or missing-symbol errors. But Cygwin calls
SetErrorMode (SEM_FAILCRITICALERRORS)
so I don't understand why I'm getting the popups at all.

I do /not/ see these popups on WinXPsp2 (cygwin-1.5.25-12)

--
Chuck