RE: Vista + cygwin basics

I'd be interested in it :)

-----Original Message-----
From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf Of
Karl M
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 2:09 PM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: RE: Vista + cygwin basics

Hi Chuck...

> The other issue is related, I think. I'm using keychain from my
> ~/.bashrc, so it should start an ssh-agent if none is running, and
> then save that PID to a file. Then any new shell can check for the PID
> in that file, contact the exising ssh-agent, and continue.

Just a comment...keychain is pretty heavy for what you get in Cygwin. I had
problems a long time ago with a slow laptop running XP SP2 with Cygwin
windows taking a long time to open if I kicked off several at once,
particularly at boot time.

My solution was to launch ssh-agent as a service (one for each user that
wants it). That service spawns the agent and updates the user environment in
the registry so that other processes can find the ssh-agent process/socket.
The advantages are that it is fast and the agent survives a logout (only
rekey for a reboot is desired).

I had thought about offering it as a package, but there was insufficient
interest. Your are welcome to it if you are interested. It has been rock
solid for years.

:.)

...Karl