Re: How to make GraphicsMagick ('gm.exe') work? and 'cygdpstk-1.dll'

Bruce Dobrin wrote:

> I noticed that others had a problem running GraphicsMagick (gm.exe) on
> Vista but saw no solution in my search of site:cygwin.com.  It appears
> to me that (for once) Vista isn't completely at fault.  If you do a
> cygcheck on gm.exe you will noticed "Error: could not find
> cygdpstk-1.dll".  I found this on an older XP machine that had been
> upgraded to version 1.5.25 from many previous versions of  cygwin.  Once
> I copied this DLL  into the path (I found it in /usr/X11R6/bin/) gm
> now seems to work fine.  I don't know what this DLL is or does,  but it
> does not appear to be in the currently X11 install.
>
> So find this Lib somewhere,  copy it into the path and gm.exe will start
> working.  No idea if it will bust anything else though

* My '/usr/X11R6/bin/' has no such file even though I have a
  complete install of everything, probably because: mine is a
  relatively new machine, and I have no such "remnants of yore".

* I found a dodgey version of 'cygdpstk-1.dll' on the net
(-rwxrwxrwx+ 180671 Jan 23 2004 cygdpstk-1.dll).
(I checked it with 'strings' and my Virus scanner, first.)
Is there a later version?

* Do the Cygwin archive servers that appear in the 'setup.exe'
  list, keep prior versions of the install files? I presume that
  the ftp servers are accessible thru a standard ftp client?

* I do not save the archives that are downloaded to install
  Cygwin updates (although I do save all my personal
  configuration information). If one cannot get these old
  archives off The Net?, perhaps I should rethink my backup
  strategy?

* The "path" you allude to, above, probably should be "$PATH".

* BTB, if a user has X windows properly installed, I believe,
  '/usr/X11R6/bin/' would be in/on the "$PATH".

Bruce,

Thanks for the tip

I changed the subject line because both you and I had misspelled
GraphicsMagick in previous posts. (Makes finding the "Rosetta
Stone" difficult.)

Lee

Lee D. Rothstein

P.S. Thanks for the 'site:' tip on Google, as well.