Intrfacing USB-serial port

Hi

I am trying to interface a Pan tilt camera which comunicates serially. however I had to use a USB-serial adaptor because of not having a built in serial port.

According to my knowledge from Cygwin mailing list, USB-Serial COM2 should be accessed as /dev/ttyS1. I tried

1. echo test> /dev/ttyS1 and cat /dev/ttyS1 but it doesnt work (cat has to be interrupted)
2. echo test> /dev/ttyUSB1 and cat /dev/ttyUSB1 which works
3. I am not able to configure /dev/ttyUSB1 for baud rate etc

I use a library which communicates with the camera serially, and the library is giving me error of not being able to open the port in the following function either way

        if(cam1->Open(1,"/dev/ttyUSB1") != 1) or
        if(cam1->Open(1,"/dev/ttyS1") != 1)

How should I access the USB-Serial COM2 since I suspect the problem lies in port settings or configuration. Is it because of port number or port permissions?
-------
Ahsan Qamar