Re: A FAQ regarding defrag and permissions of nonadmin files?

Brian Dessent wrote:
> Okay, so JkDefrag's boot time defrag does not appear to be a real
> boot-time (offline) defrag.  Anything dealing with the task
> scheduler is way too late in the game, Win32 is already running at
> that point.

I wonder why anyone want to do that under a permissions-limited
account.

> I doubt that the boot-time defrag generates a report.  It's not
> intended to be a full service defrag, it's only for system files
> that are normally locked (offline defragmentation.)  When you
> schedule the boot time defrag you have to specifically include a
> list of patterns and the default only includes things like the hives
> and pagefile.

<...snip...>

> I'm not sure what you mean by "no progress indicators", as every
> time I've used it (and any other offline defrag for that matter,
> such as Sysinternals' pagedfrg), it displays some text saying what
> it's about to do, with a 3 second opportunity to press a key to
> abort, followed by textual percent meters of analysis and defrag
> stages, just like CHKDSK.

I must have missed that 3 seconds.  But at the bottom, there is a line
of dashes that never changed for the duration of the activity.  I
believe it was prefixed with a label having to do with "analysis".  I
am trying again with specificatin of "*" in the file inclusion list.

About the log file, you're right.  You need another "analyze" after
normal boot.  It generates c:/FRAGLIST.HTM, which can be saved as
text.  Turning off the switch to produce HTML doesn't generate a text
file, so I guess it's HTML or nothing.

Fingers crossed with "*" in the file inclusion list.