Re: How do I run sshd as a particular user?

On Apr  2 09:11, Alfred von Campe wrote:
> On Mar 28, 2008, at 11:28, Dave Korn wrote:
>> Alfred von Campe wrote on 28 March 2008 12:30:
>>
>>> I have tried various ways to get the sshd service started as a domain
>>> user (instead of the default local user "sshd_server") and can not
>>> get it to work.  What is the correct syntax to specify a domain user
>>> with cygrunsrv?  This is what I have tried:
>>>
>>>    cygrunsrv -I sshd -u "DOMAINNAME\USERNAME" -w PASSWORD -d "CYGWIN
>>> sshd" -p /usr/sbin/sshd -a -D -e "CYGWIN=bin tty smbntsec" -y tcpip
>>[...]
>   I thought starting the service as a domain
> user would accomplish this, but alas, I have not been able to do that.  So
> if there is any other way to achieve our goal, I'd be happy to try it.

Did you try anything besides switching the user?  For instance:

- Did you check the event log?

- Did you check /var/run/sshd.log?  If it's empty it's probably because
  the domain user has no write permission.

- Does the domain user have an entry in the local /etc/passwd?  sshd
  needs that when checking file ownership.  And it allows to specify the
  user to cygrunsrv without the "domain\win_username" syntax.

- Did you chown /etc/ssh* and /var/empty to the domain user when trying
  to start the service under that account?  That's a must have.

Corinna

Red Hat